Welcome

Welcome to the blog for the Oregon Ferret Shelter! Ideally, this will be a nice venue for friends of the shelter to get information about what is going on with the shelter. Or maybe just to view some funny gifs.

To get to the Oregon Ferret Shelter's main website, please visit OregonFerretShelter.org


Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Why you should never use a collar -- GRAPHIC!

Some people think that all ferrets should wear collars, that a collar is the best way to identify them as a pet to the outside world. (Microchips are really the best, but the allure of a collar is that it can easily be seen and read without special equipment.) They believe that if your ferret should escape, a collar would keep people from thinking that your pet is a wild animal and reacting with fear and/or force. They also think that a collar could also tell everyone whom the ferret belongs to and thus help him or her find their way home.

As a cat owner, I see their point. I have collars on both of my cats and my dog. After all, until animals can speak, it is our job to give them a voice -- and a collar is a good way to provide it.

However, I don't put collars on my ferrets (well, except for very short periods of time, such as when I am taking them for a walk or to an outdoor event). I don't, and I won't.

Why?

1. My ferrets hate collars. If my pets are any indication, they would rather spend hours figuring out how to slough off a collar like a dead snakeskin than spend the time enjoying the outdoor scenery. A collar is a challenge, not an adornment. Mine take it personally when I give them a collar or harness, and if looks could kill, I would be a very dead person a thousand times over.

2. In order for a collar to stay on a ferret, it has to be tight. Very tight. Tight enough for them to be unable to snorgle their way out of it. And that can lead to gruesome damage (see below).

3. If you buy a collar that fits, you have to be vigilant about changing it as your ferret grows and changes. And a ferret's body can change a lot from season to season. My ferrets are not shy about fattening up for the winter. They can gain or lose 6 ounces depending on when you measure them. And when you only weigh about 2 or 3 pounds, 6 ounces can make a huge difference! If you don't monitor your ferrets closely while they are wearing collars, they can grow themselves into a dangerous situation.

In the following pictures, which are gruesome, Rainer's owner did not take his body changes into account. Rainer grew up, but his collar didn't. The collar had to be removed surgically by Dr. Katrina Ramsell. Thank God that we had the facilities to remove this guy's collar before it choked him to death or caused other damage.

Let these pictures be a warning. If you choose to put a collar on your ferret, please please please keep a vigilant eye on them. Don't let this happen to your baby.



19 comments:

Patti Riggert said...

OMG, the poor baby! I never use a collar on my ferrets unless we're going for a walk or outside but that's very seldom. I'm so glad you posted this, graphic as it is, so that other/new ferret owners will learn a lesson from it. It's just too bad that it had to come at the expense of that poor little guy. Thanks for letting everyone know! Patti

Bridgett White said...

Is the little guy ok now? Wow..totally unbelievable. This is good knowledge for everyone. Thank you

Marie-Agnes Photographie said...

I have just tears to look at this.
Poor poor little baby.
How is he now ?
It must to be so painful.
I wonder why it is still red and the skin seems still "open" if the collar was removed surgically ?

FertGirl said...

Rainer is looking better now, but the scars are still healing. I saw the little one yesterday, and there is still some raw red scarring on his neck. Then I got to see the collar. Oh my god -- it can't be more than two fingers' wide.
I''l definitely be following up on this one.

Marie-Agnes Photographie said...

Glad to know she is a little better, please keep up updated.
Poor sweet heart ...

rachel (owned by 12 fuzzies!) said...

I always use collars on my ferrets as they are house roaming. but they are taken off every night when they are put to bed.
and i have no choice but to fit the collar to the ferret when i put them on in the morning because all ym collars are the same, and all my ferrets are different sizes.
but leaving it on like that when it is obviously too tight is just stupid. poor little guy. i hope the owner was punished for this.
How's the little fuzz doing now?

Unknown said...

I have put a collar on my ferret but I think the biggest factor here is common sense ! If my ferret hated it and was trying to repeatedly remove it then I would immediately take it off he only has it on when I'm supervising him but so far he hasn't batted an eyelid and carries on doing everything he does without it but then he may be the exception. ( also if the collar showed ANY signs of damaging him rubbing him etc it would be off and never put back on but then that's common sense)

Unknown said...

I will keep that in mind for my little boo Spencer :3!
I'm still keeping a collar on him but I'll make sure to take it off daily to make sure it isn't harming him!
He's only a wee baby and doesn't care about his collar but tugs on the leash.
Like he didn't react at all when I put the collar on him but than I connected the leash and he thinks it's a game and wants me to chase him as he tugs the leash to make me chase him.
I think all ferrets are different on dealing with this.
(Though I'm a new farent sooooo... I still gotta learn.)

thomasarthur said...

Your information is very useful for the readers. Thanks for sharing and please keep sharing.It sounds and looks lovely! Thanks for sharing this blog article.

Pet Boutique | Pet Shop | Dog Coats

Unknown said...

That's so sad actually. Nice idea to have this animal as pets but his death has simply terrified me. You people can get help from internet to find some more ideas for choosing pets. You can also go for Pet Grooming Tips to keep yourself healthy and smart.

Unknown said...

You always adjust collars that's nothing to do with the type of animal. My ferret Koby gets mad at me when I take off his collar, excited when I put on his harness and walks like a dog on a,leash. Koda warmed up to his collar on walks and after a couple weeks waits for me to pit it on every time he comes out of the cage, for house time, outdoor time,or just cuddles, he's particularly fond of his new one with a bell. It depends on the ferret, honestly

Unknown said...

It cut me off, but part two, my old ferrets detested all things clothes and wouldn't stand for collars or harnesses would lay flat and not move. Koda does the same If I connect a leash to his harness. I'm extremely lucky to have Koby who's so obedient, it's rare for a ferret.

Unknown said...

It cut me off, but part two, my old ferrets detested all things clothes and wouldn't stand for collars or harnesses would lay flat and not move. Koda does the same If I connect a leash to his harness. I'm extremely lucky to have Koby who's so obedient, it's rare for a ferret.

Unknown said...

My ferret enjoys his collar but I don't let him sleep with it, I only use it for house roaming so I can find him (it has a bell) and it's been very helpful for that since he can't stand his harness.

Unknown said...

I feel like if you don't notice a collar cutting into your animal's skin you probably shouldn't have an animal, the only cases in which a collar would actually grow into the skin are those of outright abuse.

Unknown said...

How does it even get to that point?? Someone would have to have that collar on extremely tight or never awknowledge their ferret at all to not notice THAT... My ferret wears his collar all day and all night, it's a soft faux leather material that's actually made for tiny dogs. He used to wear an actual ferret collar and I stopped putting it on him because of redness. I keep his collar very loose which is how it should always be whenever they're wearing a collar just in case they get stuck or fall off of something and get it hooked. He has no more redness and I almost never take his collar off.

Unknown said...

How much of a dumbass do you have to be to not notice this happening

Ash Green said...

Awesome! No words. You always go one step beyond.

There is so much great, useful information here. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Read our guide if you wish.
petreviewz

Thanks again :)

Kim said...

The only time I use a collar is when I take her out of the house, and I do not let her walk in it. It's only on for a short time, and on a leash just in case she jumps. She's my Emotional Suport Animal, so she's always in my arms. Collar comes right off as soon as we get home. She is a very tiny girl, was malnourished for 3 years, and there is NO harness that fits her, we've tried dozens. I really hope people get smarter with their animals. Letting something like that happen is just abuse and they have no business owning any animal.